16 Sept 2012

A new morning regime

Last night I decided to have a good rummage in the cupboard and dust off my old smoothie maker.

(Admittedly, I have to confess that I don't think said smoothie maker has ever made an actual smoothie before in its life; I used to use it to make up the delightful meal-replacement shakes I drank as part of numerous weight-loss attempts in the past.  Ugh).





I have been really enjoying having fresh fruit with plain, natural, bio-yoghurt in the mornings recently and have surprised myself at how often I can actually be bothered to take the whole 3-4 extra minutes required to cut up the fruit.  I've been having this at least 4-5 times a week.  It's a habit I'd really like to continue once the baby arrives (whenever that may be!) as I know that I must try and stay healthy for breastfeeding and a healthy breakfast does seem to make me more inclined to 'step away from the crap' for at least a few more hours in the day.  Sometimes, even until the chocolate demon comes to visit after supper!  Rarely....but sometimes!

Anyway, as delicious as my fruity / yoghurt combo is, eating the same thing every morning does get dull, at which point I'll often head towards the not-so-healthy cereals in the cupboard or lashings of peanut butter / nutella / marmite / honey on toast.  The option of having a smoothie on occasion instead would be a far healthier alternative, but that requires planning and preparation. 

The point I'm trying to make is.........that I'm lazy. 

Unless the smoothie maker is out, ready and plugged in I know I won't bother - and will most likely resort to one of my staple stodgy standby's - so the smoothie machine is now going to become a permanent fixture on the work top.  No excuses!

So, this morning I made Husband and myself a banana and strawberry breakfast smoothie....




Ingredients (per person)

1 Banana
4-5 Strawberries
1 tablespoon Honey
3 tablespoons Rolled Oats
3 tablespoons Yoghurt
100ml (ish) Juice (I used a 'not-from-concentrate' Apple & Passionfruit one)

Well, it was delicious!  It's pretty sweet so you may prefer to cut down the amount of honey or dilute the juice a bit.  Husband much approved also and thinks it'll be the perfect thing to have before he runs into work in the mornings,  so I'm hoping we can try and fit this into our morning routine together.  Although I have a sneaking suspicion that a small, pooey, pukey individual may  have different ideas.




It's pretty filling with all the oats so I think it'll actually do a much better job at keeping me filled up than just yoghurt and fruit alone (I do sometimes add muesli or granola but I then tend to have 'portion-control issues' and end up with a massive mountain of yoghurty mixture!).

I feel very virtuous right now,  most healthy.  This is completely unjustified considering the pizza's we ate for supper last night, but you have to start somewhere, right?!


I have also been rather obsessed with Caprese sandwiches for lunch recently....but I shall do another, separate post on that!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!